|Wonder of Words Festival|
Event Type: Author Visit|
Age Group(s): Adult
Start Time: 9:00 AM
End Time: 4:00 PM
The 2017 Wonder of Words Festival will celebrate the written word with local and national authors. New this year is a collaboration with the Des Moines Public Library. The indoor festival features presentations and book signings by authors of both national and local acclaim, as well as workshops, children’s entertainment/activities, and a storytelling competition.Library: Central Library Map to Central Library
The lineup will feature best-selling and nationally-renowned authors including:
• Caron Levis the author of Ida, Always a beautiful portrait of friendship.
• Debra Prinzing is the author of Slow Flowers which has led a movement encouraging people to look local for their floral needs.
• Maureen Corrigan, a book critic who reviews books for NPR’s “Fresh Air” and the author of two books of her own: Leave Me Alone I’m Reading and So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why it Endures.
The event will also feature a number of special activities and workshops, including:
• Morning yoga and reading with Andy Douglas
• An interactive Des Moines Writers’ Workshop.
• A publishing panel hosted by the Des Moines Writers’ Workshop.
• The MidAmerican Children’s Book Nook will feature storytimes with Everybody Wins! Iowa, local illustrator Nathan Wright, local author Ricky Dragoni and a visit from a surprise princess.
• A workshop for kids and adults with Kar Gustafson, owner of Curtain Call Kids, to show them how to take characters off the pages of their favorite fairy tales and bring them to life on stage.
• Gustafson will also lead an exclusive opportunity to write, practice and perform an original musical in only 90 minutes as part of the MidAmerican Children’s Book Nook.
• Storytelling for Kids and Grown Ups with Maureen Korte.
• A Festival Bookstore will feature a selection of books from Beaverdale Books written by both local and nationally acclaimed authors presenting at The Festival.
The Wonder of Words Festival is made possible by its sponsors: Prairie Meadows, Des Moines Public Library, MidAmerican Energy, Voya Financial, Bankers Trust, Bravo Greater Des Moines, Knapp Properties Inc., Meredith Corporation and More 104.1.
For more information including the 2017 lineup, visit WonderofWordsFest.com.
Location: Meeting Room One, Two and Three